Research and policy are key focus areas for Palliative Care ACT
Palliative Care ACT undertakes research projects that examine current, developing and future issues that affect access to, and quality of palliative care to the people of the ACT, and surrounding region. Research is often in collaboration with other ACT, interstate or national organisations. Palliative Care ACT also contributes to research carried out by others.
Palliative Care ACT promotes issues for consumers, carers, the community and the sector through developing policy and contributing to ACT discussions.
We influence ACT Government policy and through working with Palliative Care Australia, and other state/territory peaks, we influence national policy debates on issues that affect and are affected by palliative care.
Palliative Care ACT engages with Members of the Legislative Assembly, and ACT Government Department in regular meetings and briefings.
Palliative Care ACT contributes to the policy debate in a variety of ways including:
- Presenting and making submissions to government and Legislative assembly inquiries
- Participating in consultation forums
- Presentations at conferences
Policy is developed through wide-ranging consultation with Palliative Care ACT’s members, the Palliative Care ACT Board, and other relevant bodies.
Palliative Care for Under-served Populations and People with Complex Needs
Cultural Security for Clients
Policies and Position Statements
Palliative Care ACT endorses the following:
- Chronic end-stage kidney disease
- Consensus Statement: Care and consumer engagement in palliative care and end-of-life care
- Culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities and palliative care (under review)
- Euthanasia and physically assisted suicide (under review)
- Grief and bereavement
- Palliative care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender people and people with intersex characteristics
- Palliative care and neurological conditions
- Palliative care and dementia
- Palliative Care and chronic heart failure
- Palliative care and advance care planning
- Principles for palliative care and end-of-life care in residential aged care facilities
- Spiritual care: integral to palliative care in aged care
- Use of medicinal cannabis products in palliative care